If the stores are stocked and the commercials are on, then it is probably not too early to talk about going back to school. In some areas of the country kids of all ages are already getting their school supplies ready to head back into classrooms shortly. As you think about heading back to school this year, why not also think about ways to pay it forward? From elementary school through college, here are 11 random acts of kindness you can do for back to school season:
- There are some fabulous deals on school supplies happening now, especially if you use coupons. When you head to the store shop for school supplies, consider purchasing extras for your child’s school or classroom. You could also use those “buy one, get one” deals for items to donate.
- AdoptAClassroom.org will partner you with a teacher so you can purchase critical resources and materials for a classroom. When you adopt a classroom, you can search by school or location as well as by subject or need. AdoptAClassroom.org also has a special program to help the schools hit hard by the tornadoes in Oklahoma.
- Another terrific way to help teachers get the necessary supplies they need for their classroom is through http://www.donorschoose.org/. You can donate by location, by need, using a gift card and more.
- If you have a One Direction fan in your home, here is a great way to pay it forward. By buying exclusive, limited-edition One Direction notebooks, binders, composition books, and more at Office Depot, you will help raise the funds for an education program aimed at creating bully-free schools. You can read more about the program and order items online here.
- The first day of school and new shoes go hand-in-hand, right? Buy now you have probably heard of Toms Shoes and their “buy one, give one” program. Toms has terrific new arrivals in their kids department (be sure to check out the floral denim style), which can be purchased on their website or at many local retailers.
- Let it rain with Roma Boots. For every pair of Roma Boots sold, a new pair is donated to a child in need. Additionally, 10% of all sales proceeds go to helping children break out of their cycle of poverty and despair. The kids’ boots come in adorable shiny red, yellow, or blue. Check them out at http://romaboots.com/collections/all.
- At Oxfam Unwrapped, you can donate school meals to children in need around the world. You can also donate school supplies, books and related educational gifts, such as helping a student leader make a difference.
- Through Global Giving, you can feed underprivileged children in India school lunches so they can obtain the necessary nutrients they need to learn and can in turn focus on getting an education to help them escape poverty. Just $15 feeds a child a hot school lunch for an entire school year.
- If your high school or college aged child (or self) is in need of a new backpack, consider purchasing one from Oak Lifestyle. For every Oak Lifestyle backpack purchased, one is given to a child either here in the United States or in Rwanda. All Oak Lifestyle products All OAK products give back to those in need.
- Guys, this one is for you too. At Ark Collective, they donate a backpack filled with school supplies to a child for every backpack purchased. The awesome canvas backpack has padded straps and comes with a laptop sleeve and an exterior pocket perfect for your iPod, keys, school ID, or phone.
- Lastly, if you are feeling extra generous, for $199 you can give a laptop to a child in a developing country, and giving them hope for a better future. The XO laptop was designed especially for children with a rugged plastic exterior, built-in wireless, a display that is readable under direct sunlight and software designed to foster children’s learning. You can purchase a laptop for a child at http://laptop.org/.
Click here for a printable version of this list!
Happy back to school season!